Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The problem with a cutesy boating site title...

Rant: Why I HATE the cutesy title of a boating site:

I can't bear to 'like' "Making waves in a no-wake zone" because it sounds like it's trying to be cutely subversive or rebellious in glamorizing illegal and dangerous behavior in its title -- and anglers and sailors both suffer plenty from drunks or druggies or just plain criminal idiots trying to swamp or crash into our boats, damaging boats in marinas, trying to guillotine swimmers with their propellers, scaring off wildlife and fish, eroding shorelines, killing marine mammals, etc.

I can put you in touch with a marine safety officer who has seen enough gore, horror, tragedy, and smelly dead human bodies and body parts to last more than a lifetime, thanks to on-the-water maniacs. And, it's hard for me to take something like this lightly, given that I had a friend drown in a boating-related accident just far away enough that I couldn't help, except to be part of the search. (His body took about three weeks to surface but was well-preserved because of the cold water.) Unfortunately, whenever I see this boating website's name, it reminds me of gross reckless irresponsibility, mayhem, tragedy, and death. /end rant

2 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, February 16, 2012, Blogger Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Make a difference. Why not share a link to this site? Why not make waves?

 
At 12:12 PM, February 20, 2012, Blogger Pat said...

I'd be tempted to make waves to swamp the idiots who suggest breaking the law and endangering others is their idea of good clean fun -- especially if the site owners are making money via suggesting illegal and dangerous behavior.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home