Friday, June 11, 2010

Sailor Abby Sunderland found alive and well -- Wild Eyes not quite so well

Photo from Australian Search and Rescue


Word is now that the crew of the Airbus sent to find distressed would-be circumnavigator Abby Sunderland have succeeded in finding her alive and well and made radio contact with her.

Wild Eyes, her Open 40 boat, was not so well off, having apparently dismasted.

The crew on the Quantas airplane made radio contact with her. Abby is reported to have a functioning heater and at least two weeks of food and is expected to be rescued by a fishing trawler in about a day and a half. (The rescue should be happening by roughly Saturday afternoon for those in North American time zones.)

A second fly-by is being arranged for the interim in which a French fishing trawler is traveling to Wild Eyes.

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, June 11, 2010, Blogger Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Glad she's going to be okay. Who wouldn't be glad of that? But I'm sad that she's stunt-sailing. Puts potential rescuers at risk.

 
At 11:12 PM, June 14, 2010, Blogger Joe said...

You know I remembered something, I think. Am I correct, is sailing solo against maritime law? I read my Colregs along time ago, so I could be wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home